Fair Exacta Payouts
The Fair Exacta Payouts calculator shows you how much an exacta bet should pay given the odds. The payouts are based on a paper by D.A. Harville. In theory, bets on the fair exacta payouts on average will break even. Bets on exactas that pay more than the fair exacta payouts should produce a profit in the long run, in theory.
- Enter the payout odds.
- Click "Get Exactas".
- Click "Next" or "Previous" to display different exactas.
- The exactas shown are for a $2 bet.
- The win probabilities, based on the odds, are also shown.
- Click "Clear" to erase the fields and start again.
- Be sure to enter the odds for all entries. Leaving out an entry will skew the results.
- The maximum exacta payout shown is 10,000. If you see 10,000, the actual fair exacta payout may be higher.
- The probabilities are based on the odds.
- If the odds you enter do not accurately represent the win probabilities, then the fair exacta payouts will be inaccurate.
- Even with accurate odds, the fair exacta payouts may be inaccurate if the Harville assumptions don't apply for the given race.
- Even with accurate fair exacta payouts, you can still lose by betting on exactas that pay more than the fair exacta payouts.
- We make no claim that you will win or that you will not lose if you make the bets by following Fair Exacta Payouts.
- The Fair Exacta Payouts calculator is presented for information purposes only.
- Use Fair Exacta Payouts on your computer, tablet or smartphone.
- Try our Win Bet Optimizer calculator.
Fair Exacta Payouts Picks Winning Exacta in the 2014 Kentucky Derby!
The $2 exacta payout for the winning combination 5-17 was $340. A player using the Fair Exacta Payouts calculator would have known that this was a good bet to make.
According to the calculator, an exacta paying $267 would return 100% of the money bet, on average. So a player betting on the exacta paying $340 would have a theoretical edge of (340/267 - 1) x 100% = 27.3%.